Wednesday, March 29, 2006

My steed from the North and our command center

This is my bike. It was made in Wisconsin in 1985. I eBayed the frame and fork, along with a few other bits. I built it as workhorse with classic lines.



This picture is from a few moths ago. I have since replaced the front rack with a Surly Nice Rack made of tubular steel.

Every day we make small efforts toward preparation. This week we have spent time arranging health insurance, ordering waterproof shoe covers and a card reader for the digital camera, discussing our exit with the landlord, setting up payment plans for my student loans, and trying to find the right dry-bags for our gear. It is exhausting. All I want to do after a long day of work is sleep and go out with all the friends that I won't be seeing for at least six months.

We have made a calendar to keep track of everything. It hangs on the wall, full of pencil marks, and counts down the days 'till blast-off.

No comments: